Saturday, August 10, 2013

Office Organization Part 2

I'm finally ready for my office reveal. I've had lots of fun decorating and organizing this past week.

Here is the view as you walk in the door...


I love having tables for my classes to sit at rather than desks, because it is so much easier to build teamwork and I feel like its more homey.  I'm also really excited about my birds hanging from the ceiling. :)

My desk area...


Behind my desk, I have a shelf with a file box for each grade level that holds all of my classroom lessons. Beside that, I stacked milk crates to make a free shelf for supplies.  To the left of my desk is a shelf that holds fidgets, games, and resources for individual counseling.

Here is the area I've set aside for individual counseling...


On my shelf I have lots of little toys and fidgets kids can hold and play with while we talk. I have found that if a child has something to hold on to, it makes them feel more comfortable talking.  I also a have a set of Talk Blocks that I use with students in individual counseling. You can find out more about Talk Blocks here.

My favorite bulletin board...



I hope to keep this board up for most of the year, because I want it to help make every student feel comfortable and safe in my class.  I want all children regardless of their ability, race, gender, SES, etc. to feel welcomed and accepted.  I also want to encourage all of our students to be accepting of everyone.  This is the largest board in my room, so I hope it sends a big message.

Front of my room...


Storage in the back of my room...


Behavior Management System...


This board is in the front of my classroom to make it easy for all my classes to see.  I titled the board, "Are you being a leader?" to go along with our Leader in Me initiative.  I took behavior charts and cut them in half, laminated them, and wrote a homeroom teacher's name on each chart.  If my classes are using the 7 Habits and being good listeners, I will color in one of the circles on their chart at the end of that class period.  Once they have 5 successful classes, we will spend their next counseling class outside for recess.  This is a huge motivator for students to give active listening and good participation during my lessons.  It also allows me to spend some time outside with kids watching them interacting with their classmates on the playground.  Once, they have earned their reward day, I simply wipe their chart off and they begin again.

Hopefully, you were able to get some good ideas for your rooms.  Please leave a comment linking your offices and classrooms so that I can take a look as well. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Love the behavior chart idea!

    http://elementaryschoolcounselortn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great idea and i am excited to try it. Might be next school year since we are now in throws of state testing for a while, but will definitely try it. I would like to know more about how you use the Leader in me with your kiddos. I have a few ideas but would love to get some fresh new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invaluable insights and support found at Counseling Corner. A beacon of guidance in navigating life's challenges. A must-read for anyone seeking clarity and empowerment. The Therapy Room Mind Health And Wellness

    ReplyDelete